Monday, June 27, 2011

'Because I Care' with Emboss Resist

As promised in my last post I am going to show you over the next couple of days some of the cards I demonstrated or created for make and takes at my workshops over the weekend.
I'm starting a bit topsy-turvy as these first set of cards were actually what I demonstrated at my last workshop of the weekend. 

On Saturday I was asked to run a workshop for a really lovely group of girls. I have only met most of them once before but they are so kind, friendly and welcoming that it really is like having a crafty afternoon with friends. Both the hostess and her sister are really experienced card makers (they could show me a thing or two I think) so I wanted to show the group a couple of a WOW techniques that they may not have seen before. I decided to demonstrate the emboss resist technique that Sharlene Meyer demonstrated at Convention. I also wanted to show how with just one stamp set (in this case 'Because I Care), a couple of colours of card and ink and some different techniques you can make a card that looks like you have spent hours on it, when in fact you haven't.

This is the card I demonstrated for the girls:

Funnily enough prior to preparing for these workshops I have not given this set much thought or use, but now I have to say I am quite taken with it. As you can see I used the emboss resist technique with the hyacinth on the main panel. After sponging on the Baja Breeze ink I also dabbed on some shimmer paint- so in real life it's got a lovely shimmer. As I said before I only wanted to use cardstock and ink on this card but wanted to show how even though no accessories are being used the card can still look anything but plain. To achieve this I used the hyacinth image as a background stamp too and stamped it tone on tone onto the Crumb Cake card stock. I also showed the girls the dry embossing technique on the bottom piece of Baja Breeze cardstock and how easy it is to achieve some texture just by scoring some lines. Instead of using ribbon to divide the Baja and Crumb Cake layers (my usual method) I created a thin strip that resembles ribbon by clear embossing  another of the stamps from this set and then emboss resisting with Early Espresso ink.

I was so taken with this card that I made a few more and gave them to the lovely hostess in a pretty card folder. Here are the others in Blushing Bride and Crumb Cake:

 I was really happy with how these cards turned out and will definately be trying more ways to create pretty cards without using lots of 'accessories' in the future.

See you back here tomorrow for some cupcake fun,

2 comments:

Tracey said...

I LOVE this LouLou!! Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. That's going straight into the CASE file...Txx

Michelle said...

They are gorgeous Lou, i'm going to miss this stamp set when it's gone :(